Friday, September 18, 2009

Empty Nest

Well, my baby is off to college at SUNY Buffalo, and my oldest is a senior at Skidmore, and I am feeling pretty sad that a long chapter has ended. So as I always do, I work out my grief in art, and it usually makes those feelings into something beautiful and positive. So of course, I made a big empty nest. I've been cleaning out my attic and basement and finding all kinds of things from their childhoods to use in building it. I started with chicken wire and twigs from the backyard where my little ones played, and then I wove in all kinds of flim flam, just as birds find and collect stuff for building materials. I used a zipper from a dress I made my little Zoe, and a hairtie I found in the attic, and a little ripped piece of a hankie my mother wiped their tears with. I found yarn that I had used to knit a sweater for Canaan when he was just a toddler, and so on, mushier and mushier. I cried over it all day for several days, and now I feel a little better! Obviously this nest is personal, so it won't be for sale, but I could make one for someone else, using their personal items! It was fun, and I think I could make nests every day! I will be showing this from Sept. 30 through Nov 1 at the State of the Art Gallery, 120 West State Street, Ithaca. Go to www.soag.org to see the picture. Click on Art Trail show, then Artists. The nest is at the bottom left hand corner. Come see it in person during the month of October there at 120 West State Street, Ithaca. The opening reception is on First Friday, October 2 from 5-8.

I am also showing "Gorgeous Spirit" in the Rude and Bold Women Art Show Friday, Oct 2 6-10pm and Saturday, Oct 3 2-10pm at the Stephen's Square Building, 81 State St, Binghamton. This is an annual show held for just that one weekend, featuring cutting edge women artists from our region. There's always cool performance art too, this time it is "Guerrilla Girls". Check it out at www.rudeandboldwomen.com.

No comments: