Sunday, August 30, 2009


We had a wonderful time at the opening yesterday for the "Where the Winged Spirit Lives Show." I stupidly forgot my camera, but many people turned out, and wearing wings, too!! The readings by Katharyn and Eric Machan Howd were fantastic and well delivered. It was fun to meet many of their IC students, too. We consumed 10 dozen fancy cookies and many people discovered the happy flavor of fairy berry punch. This was a staple for my kids' birthday parties, and I'm always surprised that a lot of people have never had anything like it before! New dolls have been added, and the show looks great! Check it out before the end of September, when I'll be clearing out and making way for my own art to be part of the Art Trail. Also, costumes will be coming in all month.

“Love is the spirit that motivates the artist’s journey. The love may be sublime, raw, obsessive, passionate, awful, or thrilling, but whatever its quality, it’s a powerful motive in the artist’s life. –Eric Maisel
I love the quote, and often say that I am in the "love business" because no one does art but for the love of it! Also because people come into my shop primarily to buy gifts for other people, and it makes me so happy that my wares are used to show love. And when we find just the perfect thing for someone, it is so great a feeling. I've had customers with tears in their eyes more than once from finding the thing that will touch someone they know. It's so great to be a vehicle to do that. Last week a guy came in looking for a little vase to take flowers to a girl for a date. He was going to just go out and pick wildflowers (how sweet!) and I fixed him up with a vintage clear glass milk bottle that was printed with the words “from farm to you.” I’ll bet that girl goes out with him again!!

With that in mind, congratulations going out to Emily Steele Hurst, "Mon Chairie" on her marriage yesterday!




No comments: