Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hot off the presses, this review in Ithaca Times August 12-18, 2009. Piece by Piece "Hot on the Trail Eclectic and rich Art Trail Member show up now at the new CAP ArtSpace on the Commons" by Railey Jane Savage

The writer spoke about the new space, and when she began to talk about the art specifically, she mentioned mine first! She said, "Panning the room from left to right, my eyes scanned the dimensional objects--porcelain plaques" (that would be Gary Rith's) "to what looks like an Ithaca brand Maid of the Mist, to a kind of Styrofoam DNA chain--" (that is Elizabeth Gross Marks) "and I liked the variation of forms and colors. Undoubtedly Elizabeth Tilley's 'Gorgeous' is the most imposing piece in the space; a mermaid (or sorts) made from an ironing board, gleaming beads and an old dress, she sits in the corner of the space and regards the pictures on the walls with a serenely blank expression. She is almost aggressively whimsical, but silently cheerful and ultimately good at setting off the other pieces in the space simply by being so different."

That makes me sooo happy! I don't care if she particularly liked it--it seems faint praise-- but the attention I craved has been given! The only other pieces she discussed in equivalent detail was Ryan B. Curtis's and Sylvia Taylor's out of 25 pieces in the show. Her description of materials seems a bit odd, I mean, the piece is papier mache first of all, but whatever. I will be entering this in the Rude and Bold Women Show in Binghamton next, I think. The figure was first created for Godiva, who sat on my white horse, and was entered in the show two years ago. Her legs are now hanging out of a shopping cart in front of my store, and the rest of her has been reconfigured from Godiva to Gorgeous!

2 comments:

Rodrica Tilley said...

Great piece, Liz. Keep up the Gorgeous work!

Anonymous said...

Liz, that piece is fabulous!